It's not "if" exhibits will break, it's "when"!
We have around 55 hands on exhibits at the museum, plus spare exhibits, plus exhibits we take to events. With these being 30 o4 40 year old machines they are susceptible to components failing.
We already have some amazing volunteers who help with electronics repair and repair of exhibits, but we don't want to overwork them and need more volunteers to help keep all our equipment working, safe and reliable.
Essential qualities & experience
- Troubleshooting and repairing faults with retro computers, consoles, displays, TVs, electronics and components
- Re-capping circuit boards in computers, consoles, etc
- Preventative maintenance and servicing
- Keeping our exhibit database up to date with repairs you've performed
- Researching repairs and solutions for vintage machines where technical documentation doesn't exist
- Using your initiative
- Working safely
- Your own equipment ideally... eg soldering iron, multimeter, oscilloscope, etc
- Be able to take exhibits home for repair and return them in a timely manner
- Experience in retro computing, consoles, etc
- PAT testing
What is in it for you
- A "feel good feeling" for helping a charity and volunteer run organisation
- Free t-shirt
- 20% discounts on birthday parties and private hire
- 20% discount in gift shop
- Monthly volunteer meets / socials in the pub and a chit chat with like minded people!
- Your basic DBS check fee refunded (after you’ve worked 4 shifts)
How to apply
Please download one of the below application forms and then email it back to us.
Please excuse the formality; we just need to know what experience you have, how you can help, etc. The application forms also explain what we require etc. Thank you in advance!!
Email completed application forms
Once you've completed your application form please email it our volunteer manager, Nathan:-
Volunteer contract / DBS check
If you are approved as a volunteer (once you've applied above) you will need to:-
Complete a DBS check. You can do this online and it costs £18.
This will be refunded to you after you have completed your first 2 projects
- Sign a volunteer contract.
Download this here
No potential volunteers are officially enrolled as volunteers until their application is approved, their DBS is complete, and their contract is signed.